Pages

Monday, May 21, 2018

Freelance Life

Your money or your life? That is from an old Jack Benny joke.
















I sometimes feel that is what a freelance writer has to decide. Do you want money or do you want a life?

Freelance writing demands a lot from a writer because you aren't just a writer, you are a lot of things.

You are your own accountant because some needs to take care of the books.

You are your own PR firm because you are always selling yourself to potential clients.

You are your own research department because there is no one else to do the research unless you hire someone to do it for you.

The dream of just writing fades real fast once you commit to freelancing. Sure, freelancing fits in the gig economy really well, so there is always a job for you if you want to work. 

I am constantly on freelance websites looking for work. It takes away from the time I can spend with my family, but that is the choice I made when I became a freelance writer. I am lucky that my family is very patient with me. They see the ups and downs of freelance writing and are very supportive of my dream.

In these changing times, freelance writing is still an enjoyable career, but sometimes the writing process is lost in all the other work that it takes to make it as a writer.

What do you pick? Your life or your money?

No comments:

Post a Comment